Archive for March 15, 2018
Wireless remotes are the way to do portraits. These pictures below used two flashes; it should have been three, but I dropped one and broke the wireless receiver. I always have a Plan B, for when things go wrong, and the shoot carried on anyway. One light is warming the background, whilst the other is providing natural clear light on the model. These are my branded apparel, and I want them to appear as bright and clear as possible, hence the style of lighting. However, how do you work with two, three, or more flashes?
I’ve been able to source some essential photography gear from some suppliers, see here. These days, hotshoe flashes are really powerful, so you can make great portraits without old-style expensive gear, but you need your flashes to synchronise. I wish I could source more Godox, but Yongnuo from Hong Kong does the same job anyway. Oh, and I’m considering hosting a workshop, possibly in May, to introduce Portrait Lighting, Posing, and Modelling. Of course, it will be hosted here in Nagoya. If I do, participants will need at least one hotshoe flash that can be triggered wirelessly, digital camera with hotshoe, the camera instruction manual, and a general use lens about 24-70-ish mm in range. Watch this space for news, or follow me on Twitter.
A great starter kit, field kit, and more, for serious and amateur photographers. Available at https://ablyth-shop.com/collections/photography-video/products/yongnuo-3pcs-yn560-iv-yn-560-iv-master-radio-flash-speedlite-yn-560tx-controller-for-nikon-d7100-d810-for-canon-1100d-650d-6d
Welcome to the new month. What a busy week! Well, I’ve had a busy month designing and preparing designs for shirts, hoodies, and more. Another task I got to was sourcing reliable suppliers for other goods that people like. I think my stuff is great, but that doesn’t mean the ABlyth label has all the goods you need. I was also planning and preparing a shoot which was done on Tuesday this week. There are discounts for shirts, raglans, hoodies, and much more…
I am so grateful to Tetsuya of The Cooper’s Irish Pub (Instagram) in Meieki for letting us use his space. Also, to Asia (that is her name; Instagram) for her hard work, preparation, and commitment to the shoot.
For members of ablyth-shop.com there are some discount offers that are currently running. The offers and discounts cannot be used concurrently, so please choose which one you want to use. They are:
- First time customers: use “FirstTime20” for 20% off your entire order. Minimum USD$25 purchase, and one use per customer. Offer ends 31st Mar 2018.
- Sakura products: It’s springtime in Japan. Use “Sakura2018” discount code for all cherry blossom (sakura) themed products. Minimum USD$25 purchase, ends soon. See here: https://ablyth-shop.com/collections/ablyth-sakura
- Free shipping: use “Members2018” for free shipping for all of this year. Minimum USD$25 and maximum USD$100 purchase. Available to all members in all countries; for the entire order.
- Staff discount: For people I’ve worked with (mostly models and makeup artists, see your info booklet for details; expiration 31st Dec 2018, will be renewed).
- Social Media Discounts: Follow us, and share photos of your ABlyth branded items on social media with the #ablyth hashtag and @ mention, and receive a your custom discount code for 15% off future orders. Each code is good for 3 months, and so use it to get gifts for friends, family, or just to treat yourself.
- Newsletter subscribers: Get 10% off your order. Information is sent to you when you signup for a newsletter.
- More to come. Watch this space (better still, signup for the newsletter and get the jump on everyone else: ablyth-shop.com).
Asia (the model) said that she really likes this 3/4 sleeve raglan top. I admitted that I just don’t have the confidence to know what designs people like, so hearing that was great. I also admitted that I love raglans, especially this shirt with this image “Wheels”. The material used in this is nice and soft; I love it. You can get yours here.