How to purchase & license
This explains the process of purchasing licences for our images. The copyright is retained by Andrew Blyth, but the licence means you have certain types of permission to use the images. The below is a description made for a “Personal Licence” intended for bloggers, but the process is the same for Rights Managed and Royalty Free licencing.
There are two main options; 1. you could do your own online purchase (cheaper and quicker), or 2. contact me directly. If you purchase for yourself online you can save a lot of time by avoiding the email exchange that will happen across time zones (I really am in Japan). If you want a manual purchase, there will be a USD$10 order surcharge for us manually handling your order, and there may be other fees for special delivery requests.
In short, it’s quicker, cheaper, and easier to purchase via our portfolio. Here are the steps:
1. Choose the photo. Click the green “Buy +” button
Note, we have since upgraded and reorganised our website, so the ablyth.photoshelter.com address and the portfolio.japanesephotos.asia address refer to the same portfolio.
2. Bloggers, teachers, and private individuals choose the “Personal Use” licence. Commercial uses, please use either the Rights Managed or the Royalty Free licence (depending which is available for the particular photo).
3. Choose your size. For blogging and websites, these days most images look better at a larger size of about 800 to 1000px, but eventually that will soon be too small. Think long term, be safe and avoid the old and dowdy look of having images that will be too small. So, most people will choose the 1500px option.
4. Continue shopping. Usually, there is a minimum purchase requirement, and so you might need to purchase at least one more image.
5. Check out. Once you’ve got all you want, click “Check Out”
6. Coupon Code. If you have a coupon code, use it here. Under Order Summary, click on “Coupon Code?” and enter the code here. Then click “Check Out” again. Look here for any current coupon campaigns.
7. Order Summary & confirmation. Click on the “I have read the blah blah blah”. Here you will see the total price. We no longer support PayPal on the portfolio, but for a surcharge we can accept your payment using that service anyway; contact us.
8. Previously, we used PayPal, but now we only accept credit card. The payment process is simple. Our portfolio is hosted on the secure PhotoShelter system. According to the PhotoShelter people themselves, at some point you will be required to provide your email address, which is needed for the next steps.
9. After the payment process is completed, check your email for a download link to your files. PhotoShelter says, “The download link will process a zip file for the image(s) that will be automatically unzipped once your client navigates to that download link.” At which point, you have your items available to you.
Please give credit, say something like “Copyright Andrew Blyth, JapanesePhotos.Asia”, which is legally required in many jurisdictions.
I do see some details of website activities, and so I can help if you get stuck somewhere. If you have have any problems, please contact me.